While brief, the article does a great job of introducing this complicated subject. After discussing key points about copyright and fair use, Hawkins outlines "5 Things to Think About Before Using Copyrighted Images":
- Do you understand the term fair use?
- Why are you using the image?
- Have you transformed the image?
- How much of the image are you using?
- Are you willing to risk your site being taken down, getting a cease and desist/bill/DMCA or being sued?
Image: Jason Pettus (jasonpettus), mytatt.jpg, 2007, available from Flickr under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic license.